We have these two suspension bridges
spanning the Tacoma Narrows,
side by side.
The one on the right, with the decorative XX's
is the "old" bridge, the one that replaced "Galloping Gertie,"
the bridge that collapsed November 7, 1940.
(The remains of that bridge lie deep beneath the surface
and formed an artificial reef that is a favorite cold-water dive spot.)
The "old" bridge was designed to carry about 15,000 cars per day.
By the time construction began on the "new" parallel bridge,
it was carrying around 90,000 cars per day.
Traffic was a mess.
Now water flow through the Narrows is the same.
Traffic flow is much improved.